PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helipro New Zealand seconds away from causing mid air disaster ....
Old 27th Nov 2012, 22:31
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HeloDrvr
Besides the already mentioned concerns, hoists are generally not designed for Fast Roping.

Different shock loading and loads imposed. Not sure what model hoist they're equipped with, but I'm sure the manufacturer would not support this use.
And I've asked.

Results may be minor over time, or catastrophic in an instant.
Rappelling/fast roping from the BK117 requires a kit which re-installs a longeron across the roof (which is deliberately trimmed during manufacture!) at a cost of $30k plus labour The rappelling bar then hangs from that longeron. SOP is usually to dump the rope not haul it back in, and fast roping should have an emphasis on 'fast'

Maybe the Westpac machine would have been better off on the port quarter with the pilot in full sight and able to slide over when the HeliPro machine pulled off with the pilot better positioned to see where he's going? I don't know but I'd expect the pilots were in contact and able to see each other, no doubt we'll hear one way or the other. It looked very much like a strong wind off the ship's head that may have contributed to the strange approach, but considering it was a training exercise one hopes that a few lessons were learnt.

And that someone reads this thread and accepts the constructive criticism as a positive input to future exercises