PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 13:26
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks taxistaxing for the tips.

I will indeed practice what you mentioned.

Regarding your comments about the GPS, I understand what you mean by the GPS being there as a comfort blanket, as I have flown in PA28s with and without GPS at my PPL school. I guess knowing that all you have with you in the air are a map and compass will keep you on your toes a little more but surely it just comes down to self-discipline in the end?

Regarding the transition back to steam gauges, it shouldn't be an issue as the only schools I've considered so far, Flying Time and CTC (modular) both use DA40/DA42s for their commercial training. I would also just use the DA40 for my hour building, it sounds ideal, but unfortunately there just don't seem to be any whatsoever in the NW.

As I understand it, Oxford have also taken delivery of a fleet of glass 182s for their MPL programme, so maybe glass cockpit will become even more of a trend into the future?

Sparks, that does sound about right. I was thinking of finding an instructor to teach me the night qualification (rating now?) during those 10 hours, in the Cirrus, if I decide to go for that airplane. That way if I only need a few hours to familiarise myself with it the rest won't be wasted.

Thanks again

Odai.