PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2012, 21:23
chris1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a different subject, anyone noticed the sky high prices being charged by EasyJet and Jet2 from NCL lately to Spain. £250 return seems to be the new norm. Xmas flights now over £400+ return for many dates and that is before the add ons.

I booked one way tickets with Ryanair and Jet2 back to UK in September. Had to pay in euros. When checking my statement weeks later I was horrified to learn that Jet2 €/£ conversion was a paltry 1.09. At the time, GBP was worth around 1.25 euros. Even Ryanair rate was a fair 1.22 euros.

Ryanair gets such bad press but Jet2 are driving pax away with their greed. It is bad enough having to pay ridiculously expensive fees for baggage, negotiate around the hard sell for allocated seats (which I reckon 70% of pax fall for), then the extortionate credit card fees and that is before the final rip off on the exchange rate if booking one way inbound seat. I rang their call centre (on an 0870 number) to tell them of the sour taste I feel every time I book with them - I honestly feel as if I have been mugged when booking flights with them.

I fully understand that they cannot fly at a loss but why do they have to be so underhand? To me it looks like pax are now voting with their feet hence big capacity cuts to Spain. If they were more transparent, perhaps they would stimulate demand again.