PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Training Course
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2012, 03:44
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
I just don't want the ATO to switch it off completely since I am not "approved" to use it, as I normally use it for basic functions such as getting a direct track for a diversion etc.

Agree with Morno (and scavenger, and Capt Nomad). You have said you normally use the GPS for basic functions. Isn't that what a map and protractor are for?

Granted, by CPL you should know how to use the equipment on your aircraft, and I commend you wanting to obtain the proper qualification.

I would ask if MFT gave you a NVFR as part of your CPL and why the GPS Enroute wasn't done as part of that, but that may be construed as a tangentially critical evaluation of the industry.

But I digress, you cannot expect to pass a CPL if you cannot work out how to use a map! GPS is the first thing any ATO will turn off (ie. simulate as "failed") and no amount of complaining, "but I'm qualified!", will change the fact that unless you can navigate without a GPS, YOU WILL FAIL YOUR TEST.

Grow a set, stop hiding behind your perceived anonymity and listen to what's being told by poeple with a lot more experience than you when you ask.