PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 22:34
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
I very much doubt that people rent out expensive aircraft like the Cirrus at the prices quoted, the truth of the matter is that most of the non equity groups are a business that is built on the basis that the monthly fees collected will more than cover the costs.
Well the prices are there and as far as I can tell the monthly cost has always been £150, with the wet rate only recently being bumped to £90 from £80. I've been to the FTO and been shown the aircraft, and I know that it is being used and hired out at those rates. It was in fact my intention to buy a no equity share the moment I finished my PPL, and at one point there was a chance of even finishing my PPL in the airplane. It is only after the recent problems with the owner and a review of my finances that I decided to reconsider other options too.

I don't know why there's such disbelief at the wet rate, it seems perfectly within range given the typical Cirrus fuel burn and cost of Avgas at Blackpool (about 40 litres/hour and £2/litre I think)?

Originally Posted by Nigd3
Odai

Not sure if you have already been directed to the review below of the SR-20.
A lot of it is still relevant to the SR-22 so perhaps have a look over this to gain further info on the type.

Cirrus SR20 (and a bit about the SR22)
Many thanks for that, very useful. I looked also at the review for the DA40. To be honest, I think I'd much prefer the latter, even to start off on. However, it looks to be literally impossible to find one in the north west. The only place I can find renting out DA40s is Flying Time, on the other side of the country...

Originally Posted by fwjc
You are right (why pay for fancy kit if you don't plan on using it?).
I didn't say that. I said I wouldn't let my basic skills lapse, but that I'd certainly be using the equipment for accuracy and redundancy...

He clearly believes he knows far more than the experienced people on here know about aviation, so I'm thinking maybe his posts are trolling for fun.
Originally Posted by Above the Clouds
fwjc your right I spotted this a while ago with "Odai" and do believe he is just another troll, likewise I get fed up posting things that I feel maybe of use to people.
Thanks for your comments, but I don't think I gave that impression in the slightest nor do I think what you're writing is appropriate. If you dislike what I'm looking to do, don't you think it better to leave me to make my mistakes rather than make such comments...?

I didn't say I wanted to settle on the Cirrus for sure, I simply said I don't think it's a good idea to rule it out at this stage just because of some the debatable reasons given to me. I may choose an airplane now and switch later on when I feel more confident or have completed more advanced training like the IMC or night rating. I did have concerns about possibly finding myself out of my depth in the Cirrus airplane as a new PPL, but those were addressed at the beginning of the thread. Everything else was pages of posts with those who insisted they knew better arguing with myself and other members. Like I've said repeatedly, I appreciate everyone's comments and time but some of the content is just irrelevant to me and I'm not interested in debating it. I appreciate this isn't a typical route for a student looking to be financially conservative, but that is neither here nor there. I am not looking for input on what plane I should be flying or not fly and the reasons why.

All I am looking for, as I've repeatedly said, is advice on how to look for and links to available groups in the NW (I guess I should have started a new thread considering what this has descended into...). Although there has been some great advice in this thread and I now have various appointments to check aircraft out at Liverpool and Blackpool, I would still appreciate any help with this as always. Like I said, the only places I've known to check out are the UKGA classifieds and the Flyer forums. If anyone has any other suggestions that'd be great.

Last edited by Odai; 22nd Nov 2012 at 00:36.