PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2012, 02:26
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Interesting that the report completely ignores the proximity of Chivenor in its calculations - much closer than Culdrose - and the fact that Brixham is actually in the Chivenor patch.

The only reason Chiv doesn't do more jobs in S Devon is that the CG are very protective of their 'own' asset and will always call Portland first.

I think their use of '25% of the callouts are in the Solent Portland area' is disingenuous and I suspect it is a statistic only valid when considering the 4 CG flights rather than the full 12 UK SAR flights. I also expect that the lions share of South Coast callouts goes to Solent rather than Portland.

However, I do sympathise since it is the same flawed logic that was used to try and justify closing Chivenor and assumed that Culdrose and Valley could provide equal cover from a long way away.

Never mind, it looks as if we will be getting the 189 now AW has played its 'jobs in the SW' card and another SAR helicopter with a totally inadequate cabin will be foisted on UK SAR crews because it is cheaper.

Last edited by [email protected]; 21st Nov 2012 at 02:27.