PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2012, 18:05
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through this some years ago when renting out a new TB20GT, for four years.

Just about everybody who could fly already had their own plane. That's the basic problem, which ensures that what is left is very thin.

Airline pilots like rag and tube flying, not nice capable planes, which removes just about all remaining pilots who are current at any "tech" level.

I did get a couple of good people. One of them then lost his job and the other got his wife's thumb-down when she dropped a sprog.

The rest came with various levels of "issues". I had two instructors who messed with the plane (e.g. tampered with the fuel flowmeter to get lower fuel invoices, or claimed the duty drawback and pocketed it). One of the two was a Grade A shyster who vanished not long afterwards. I had a variety of private owners who rarely flew and some insisted on flying abroad with a map+stopwatch (not in my plane, thank you, especially not in France).

I also had to set up a Ltd Company for this (for liability limitation reasons) and then HMRC got interested over BIK.

Too much hassle, which is why almost nobody rents out anything that's half decent. The SR22 "zero equity" ventures charge a massive hourly fee, on top of an eye watering hour block purchase fee which weeds out anybody less than very determined. I suspect most of their business is a pilot taking a classy bird out to LTQ

Last edited by peterh337; 20th Nov 2012 at 18:05.