PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna Skyhawk landing speeds
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2003, 18:13
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhhh, that puts a different perspective on the whole thing L.J. I think that in the absence of information to the contrary, I for one assumed that you had a basic flying knowledge.

Ok, lets start again. The trick of landing an airplane is to manage the approach speed of an aircraft so that when passing over the threshold (the numbers at the end of the runway) the airspeed is close to the speed at which the airplane will no longer fly. At this point, the power has already been set to idle (throttle closed) and then as the airplane starts to sink, the yoke is slowly pulled back to hold the airplane off the runway and so it enters a nose high attitude (the flare) and therefore the wing wheels land before the nose wheel. With a tailwheel airplane (old ones mainly) there is no nose wheel and then the idea is to hold the airplane just off the runway until it is unable to fly because of it’s low speed and then the whole airplane drops onto the runway and all three wheels touch at the same time. It is important to land a tailwheel airplane correctly otherwise the propeller is very likely to hit the ground and that becomes very expensive!

So in answer to your question, the landing speed is the speed at which the airplane cannot hold itself in the air any longer and drops the last couple of feet onto the runway. That will depend on the aircraft type, weight, altitude, temperature and wind etc. I for one have never checked the average sort of speed because at this time I am looking down towards the end of the runway to maintain the centre line and adjust my altitude and attitude for landing and if landing on grass, potholes etc!

Hope this helps!