PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2012, 02:40
Matari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were in the market for a Cabri-sized helicopter, I'd do the math on all the available models, compare features and specs against the mission, and make a decision based on performance to mission, capital costs, and operating costs. I'd remember that all--without exception--warranties are limited in some way. Then I'd sharpen my pencil and...

If manufacturer 'A' provides a 12 month warranty which includes labor on replaced parts, I would put a 'zero' in that cell of my first-year operating cost spreadsheet. (In reality, there will always be something in that cell of course).

If manufacturer 'B' provides a 12 month 'parts-only' warranty, I'd add some costs for assumed labor in the first year lifecycle cost spreadsheet. I'd make a best-guess as to estimated manhours to rectify an assumed number of failures (a good AMT can help here), and add those costs in column 'B'. Sure it's just a guess, but without a large fleet to analyze failure rates, that's all insurance companies do anyway. That's why insurance rates are probably higher for the Cabri.

I'd tally up the numbers in column 'A', then column 'B', weigh those costs against features and specs, and make my decision.

Not sure why it's much more complicated than that.

Or, make a decision the way my wife picks out her new car: looks and color!