PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 01:28
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi HN

I really like that explanation. However, I did not say that all the air collides with the wing, that would not be possible, and here is where I like Bernoulli, for as you say, the theory describes focal regions of pressure/gradient

I think you are also differentiating pressure zones as pairs, above, and beneath the wing. For your purpose, I will agree to the use of the word suction, though it is a bit creepy; I was taught to ignore the concept as spurious.

In any case, any differential that works on one streamline works on the other, on a monoplane, they are mechanically connected, No?

I also appreciate the description of velocities as returning to pre entry values and that is why I prefer to see the wing as the donor, the air as recipient.

As to suction. Above the wing, the low is attractive of the open and ambient zone above it, and the closed boundary beneath, as streamline or wing skin? The wing is pressurized beneath, and moves toward the low due to the ambient high beneath the wing? One cannot distinguish which surface is attracted? The Streamline? Or the skin? (which is of course attached to the aircraft?)

Thanks for your kindness, and your patience.....

Cheers

Last edited by Lyman; 15th Nov 2012 at 01:35.