Fuji Abound
It is a but desperate, but I guess possible. However, I find it unlikely
anyone flying a Cirrus (well almost anyone) couldn't manage to identify and use
a VOR?

We can dream up all sorts of scenarios and reasons why a Cirrus
driver might be forced to resort to DA, I just think they are incredibly
unlikely.

There is not much else to say so best parked there. I respect
your point of view I just think the average private pilot could go several life times in a Cirrus and never need to resort to DA.
Fuji Abound what world are you in.

A and C
Those of you who think that the magenta line is a basic skill are living in
some sort of techno dream world, without the basic skill of DR navigation you should not be let anywhere near an aircraft, as to this situational awareness rubbish, likewise if you can't paint the picture in your head then you should not be flying.

These DR & SA skills are the very fundamentals of
piloting and without developing them you are putting your neck in a noose, that noose will tighten very quickly when the screens go blank and you are back to three little round dials to keep the aircraft upright and pointed away from the hills.
A and C I agree with you 100 percent.

Fuji Abound
How long have you been flying ? because I think you are in La La land.

It was only as recent as 1992 that I and almost every other airline/military pilot were operating worldwide without GPS and the magenta line, in fact GPS trials were just starting around then and I still remember crossing oceans and navigating using DR, NDB's and star sights, we also had a Gulf War in progress and strangely GPS accuracy was very much degraded by the goverments as required, if you really believe that you can rely 100 percent on a GPS system that is goverment controlled without relying on basics for navigation then good luck, because that fancy Cirrus cockpit with glorified Garmins will be completely worthless, trust me.

Last edited by Above The Clouds; 13th Nov 2012 at 22:01.