PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal reported Central Otago, NZ
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2012, 09:15
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outofwhack, first let me apologise for being so doubtful of your background.

To be honest, I find statements such as being able to demonstrate a stall at Vne somewhat egregious (I had you down as a sciolist), particularly knowing now it does come from an experienced aviator. The reason being that Pprune has viewers who, through lack of experience or level of knowledge, take what they read here as gospel. As always though, the trouble with communication, especially with the written word, is the impression that it has taken place. As experienced as you seem, it may have been better if the claim was made in more circumspect terms, such as, a wing can stall irrespective of speed.

Both you and I know the facts re angle of attack and associated aerodynamics, but it is not possible to demonstrate a stall in any aircraft at Vne, Pitts included (stressed +6/-3 to +6/-5 depending on model - not 20 as you alluded to, Extra300 is +10/-10 with one up, and +8/-8 two up). Va (which varies with weight, as in the Extra variation quoted) is the speed at which a stall (accelerated obviously) will generate the limit g load. Any speed in excess of Va at which a stall is made will generate a g load in excess of the design and certified g limit. So doing may incur damage, and you know not where. In the Pitts damage is often found during maintenance, and various pilots readily admit to taking them up to +8, which is 1 g short of the ultimate load. Little wonder damage is found. It recently cost a Pitts owner $160,000 to rectify such damage. A stall in the Pitts at Vne will exceed the ultimate load by a little over 1.4 g.

Certification requirement re limit and ultimate loads.

§ FAR 23.305 Strength and deformation.

(a) The structure must be able to support limit loads without detrimental, permanent deformation. At any load up to limit loads, the deformation may not interfere with safe operation.

(b) The structure must be able to support ultimate loads without failure for at least three seconds, except local failures or structural instabilities between limit and ultimate load are acceptable only if the structure can sustain the required ultimate load for at least three seconds. However when proof of strength is shown by dynamic tests simulating actual load conditions, the three second limit does not apply.

Some info re the Pitts

http://freestyleaviation.co.uk/Frees...nual2011v1.pdf

is your 10000 hours the same hour repeated ten thousand times
An oft quoted quote. However some individuals dedicate themselves to a specific arena of the profession. It may be as a fixed wing aircraft carrier pilot, airline pilot, aero club instructor, competition aerobatic pilot, EMS helicopter pilot, SAR helicopter pilot, crop duster, offshore helicopter pilot, etc etc It is a trite and glib statement that detracts from the people who ply their trade in a particular, and by definition, narrow spectrum in which they apply their aeronautical skills. Professionals all, and we may dream from time to time of trading places and wondering if we might have, or be able to develop, the skills to make a fist of it. Each has its own demands, and retaining proficiency does not come easily.

I hope that explains. Robust discussion never hurts, even though at the end of the day you may retain your differences.