PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2012, 23:59
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Based on your feedback, the Cirrus does indeed sound like a suitable airplane. The main barrier at the moment then is just the initial cost of being checked out on one.

As a result, does anyone know of any alternative similar performance aircraft I could fly for my hour building? Preferably one that does not present the same issue as the Cirrus in terms of the training requirements.

I have considered the DA40, but there doesn't seem to be any local groups/clubs/FTOs hiring these out. I have also considered the Arrow, but all the examples I've found are typical school aircraft (falling apart inside, old equipment, none of the glass cockpits I'm looking for experience in etc).

I live in the North-West area, between Liverpool and Manchester. I have looked for information on available aircraft at Barton, Liverpool, Blackpool, Woodvale, and Hawarden. I haven't been able to find any aircraft whatsoever that would suit me at any of the establishments I know of at those fields, and I don't know of any other fields that are near me. It would actually seem the most suitable aircraft at this stage is the Cirrus. Although I am keen to avoid it if I can due to the costs involved in training.

Any ideas? I wouldn't mind flying a slightly lower performance airplane than the Cirrus either, if it gets me out of the costly check outs. Just something a bit more powerful than the PA28 I'm in at the moment.

Thanks!

Odai.