PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie looking to upgrade to Cirrus
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2012, 19:00
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 10 hour requirement is a complete nonsense IMO if you need 10 hrs 20 hrs or whatever so be it but 5 hrs is perfectly adequate for a competant pilot!
Pace - you cant have it both ways.

Only a few threads ago you were arguing Cirrus pilots needed more training - now its less.

In reality I agree that a competent pilot will do fine with 5 hours, but probably not a newish PPL with no time on faster aircraft and only PA28 experience. That is a reasonable transition both in terms of speed, glass cockpit, chute, a considerably more slippery air frame just to mention a few aspects.

Of course there may be some operations that take advantage, but I have to say I have come across very few. Most do a fair assessment of the pilot and if they cut the mustard the hours are adjusted accordingly. By all means anyone going this route could get the assurance first. Then it does come down to trust. I am not boasting but I did two hours in the Cirrus up front probably even then a little more than necessary as it seemed a pleasant idea to do a few T and Gs in France. However I had lots of glass time (and the now mandatory glass sign off), lots of twin time and a few post PPL hours. As a new PPL with no glass time, I have a feeling 15 hours or so would not have been unreasonable and then dependent on how much time I was prepared to study the avionics before.