PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orville & Wilbur 98 years ago today
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2003, 18:50
redmist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You wish to change the course of history, simply because it wasn't recorded to your satisfaction?

In regards to the belief of word of mouth recollection, I was simply attempting to demonstrate that proof of his flight was not only recorded by written media.

"A heap of junk with no aerofoil camber," Does this prevent an object from flying?? Kite technology, the first gliders, rockets?

"a designed-to-seize engine copied from steam engineering practice" You could state that about my race car engine. It has a piston, bore, uses expansion to create power much as any steam engine. The race engine is most certainly not designed for long term use either. Reduced valve guides and a very stressed crank, rods and valve train all ensure that my modern race motor is also designed to seize. Yet I am sure that given the right airframe my motor would fly, and drag me up with it. The question is for how long, he's not attempting to fly around the world, only across a field.

" and a prop that would not even cut the mustard as a room fan will not fly now, and didn't fly then." You could say that about the Wright props. Modern high revving engines and speed have radically altered the prop forever. I would be interested in any proof of the failure of his prop.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Pearse flyer actually took to the air. I also think that if the man was a little more interested in the publicity then this argument would have no founding and there would be proof positive of the exact date and time of his flight.

Is it so unbelievable that a single dedicated and undeniably talented man could outperform that of the Wright brothers and their team?

Daniel Powell