PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 4th Nov 2012, 22:35
CO280fx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meloz,
Pipeline operators are required to patrol the right of way for incursions and surface conditions that could affect pipeline integrity. Many have found it's most cost effective to do this with an aerial platform. I'm looking for things like: (#1) construction equipment or recent activity on the right of way, disturbed soil, etc; erosion, settlement, or exposed pipeline; fires; evidence of leaks such as dead or discolored vegetation; down or missing pipeline markers; overgrown canopy or vegetation; new structures in the vicinity of the ROW which cumulatively affect the pipeline classification and patrol requirements; vandalism or "terrorist" activity. Most of the time I'm just painting pretty bread crumb trails on the map to comply with DOT regulations and satisfy federal auditors. Occasionally, I'll spot some knucklehead digging without a proper locate and land to intervene. There is an incredible amount of flying in this type of work. My normal work day is 8hrs skids up. I've averaged over 150hrs/month since June...

Last edited by CO280fx; 4th Nov 2012 at 22:55.