PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL with University - Should I do it?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2012, 14:41
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1964 I went up to university and at the "freshers" conference I learned of the existence of the University air squadron. By joining this, I was told, I could learn to fly free (almost to PPL standard) with the RAF. I would however be required to spend about six weeks in full time service with the RAF during my summer vacations. "Don't worry" it said, "in no way will this affect your academic studies".
"How do thy know that?" I asked myself so, in the end I didn't join, but two of my friends signed up. They had a ball, but, three years later left with pass degrees and what happened to them then, I have no idea. I left four years later with a good honours degree and a masters degree. It was only when my career had started that I was trying to work out what else I could do with life apart from earning my living and drinking beer. I discovered that my local pub was a pilot's haven and that the landlord was an ex RAF Lancaster pilot and a flying instructor. My friends there pointed me in the right direction to firstly try a flight, then when I enjoyed it who to go to to get good, cheap flying lessons. "Flying is like a bug, once you have caught it, it will never let you go." I was warned: PPL, IMC, Night, QFI, then CPL and finally ATPL with approprite employment materialised over the next 17 years.
That good degree has served me very well over the years when flying work has dried up: I strongly recommend that you get the best degree you can first and get your flying in when you have established suitable contacts over here. You may find that the aviation firm you eventually work for will help you.

P.P.