PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth Airport - CEO Geatches on radio.
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2012, 10:06
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yet in our so-called 'free market' system we have all these privatised infrastructure monopolies which were mainly created by Liberal governments!
To pay off the massive debt inherited from the previous Labor government!

I'm totally against airports, railways etc being privatised as they are essential infrastructure that should be provided as part of our tax structure - unfortunately, Labor's free-spending ways created so much debt that the Howard government was forced to sell the farm which has been causing grief for the all tax-payers ever since. The current Labor government didn't learn from their predecessors and are driving us into massive debt yet again.

The current owners of Australian airports are good at building car parks as they begin to return revenue immediately but runways (who would have thought that an airport needed runways) tie up capital for many years during the construction phase before any revenue is created. Brisbane Airports Corporation recently tried to circumvent this problem by asking airlines to pay a surcharge for the new runway while it is being built - I don't know the legality of that but it sounds shonky.