PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2012, 13:35
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the closure of the Gatwick-Manchester route,I believe we need to keep things in perspective here. Airlines start and drop routes all the time. Most of the low-cost airlines do so more often than the legacy carriers, but are careful only to announce new routes rarely mentioning the ones they are dropping. British Airways have announced the closure of the Gatwick-Manchester route for their own commercial reasons. If another airline believes they can make money on that route they will take it up, if not they wont. Its that simple.
As for the BA Gatwick base itself I believe it will continue. They will probably develop more long haul leisure destinations which may include overspill for some routes also served from Heathrow (Las Vegas is an example). The short haul network will continue to serve destinations that require frequency and competitive fares aswell as those niche seasonal destinations that can fill both Club and Economy cabins. This may also include destinations already served from Heathrow where demand for leisure travel is greatest as well as demand for transfer to BA long haul. (Examples being Barcelona, Nice and Rome).
In time newer aircraft will arrive. BA Gatwick will never be huge but will provide a big enough presence that suits London's second airport. BA still carries 5million passengers a year to and from Gatwick. Somehow I don t believe they will be willing just to give them away.
So one route down maybe a couple of new ones to be announced. Hardly the end of life as we know it.
i have posted a similar post elsewhere. I hope thats ok.
V.

Last edited by vectisman; 31st Oct 2012 at 13:50. Reason: Content