PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping & Pay in GA
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2012, 11:56
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Let's see....
Nagambie 208, meat bomb prematurely deployed, wrapped around the tail (removing it). Jumper died, pilot (miraculously) crawled up the back and got out with less than 1000' to go. Wife had bought him a safety chute recently.

Willowbank 206, 5 fatalities. EFATO. Pilot flew into tree and then dam. Pilot amongst deceased. Killed one of my mates (RIP, Irish).

Fletcher in NZ recently, multiple fatalities. Outside CofG limits. Pilot amongst deceased. No survivors.

Starting to get the picture?

The Willowbank pilot wasn't even properly into his twenties, wasn't getting paid, has no super, no insurance or death payouts and is DEAD. Fcuk that.

I speak from experience, as I was once one of those who flew for free to get experience, but all it did was teach me how to climb and sideslip and introduced that many bad habits and made me that rusty with all other aspects of flying that I decided I to do an instructor rating to straighten myself out.

Getting a MECiR early at least starts the number of renewals counting up, but recommend you at least do a NVFR as part of your CPL.
Closer to an instrument rating than VFR anyway and the school's just lining you up for more hours after your CPL if they haven't done it as part of.