PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have you seen this ...?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 16:36
stepwilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps you could suggest how the forum might be improved . . .
Be delighted to. Simply read the name of the site: Professional Pilots Rumor Network. Something needs to be done to rid it of the comments of amateurs, wannabes, gamers, children and--perhaps worst of all--know-it-all SLFs. (When the passenger in the seat next to me invariably criticizes a PF for planting an airplane in a crosswind, say, I find that it quickly quiets them if I ask them when -they- last landed a 727/37/47/Bus/Piper...)

One way to do this would be to require that aviation-experience profiles be filled out. Obviously users could lie, but I would hope that being found out as a FlightSim player when one claims to be an ATP with multiple type ratings would at least keep out all but the most brazen of pretenders.

This used to be a site visited by users interested in learning from, and discussing matters with and among, professionals. Certainly there's no reason why nonpilots shouldn't lurk and learn, but instead the site has become a babble of amateurism. It has become no better than reading the comments on a YouTube video of an aviation event.

Last edited by stepwilk; 27th Oct 2012 at 16:38.