PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel endorsement for glider towing
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 05:11
theedmancometh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far guys,

It is NOT a good way to build hours when you're looking at 2.5 minutes per tow, but is good fun flying and quick 'circuits'
I'm not interested in building hours for a CPL(A), as my goal is actually a CPL(H). What I am interested in is keeping my hand in some FW flying while doing something that is interesting and enjoyable, while picking up some experience/new skills along the way. I would eventually like to get into utility flying on helos, so I thought it might also teach me about operating an aircraft with a load attached.
The aircraft behaves much differently when it has a couple of hundred kilos tied to its tail and if something goes wrong, you haven't had the exposure or experience to cope as well as, say, a 500 or 1000 hour pilot.
I would suggest waiting a while to look at the towing
I wouldn't be surprised to hear this comment when I approach the club, however I won't know until I ask. As I said, I am keen, but I understand the reality of being a low houred pilot.
Most of the gliding clubs want you to be an active glider pilot as well so you at least have some understanding what it's like at the other end of the rope - it does make a difference.
Would a club expect you to become licensed and fly regularly, or just to get to a solo standard? From what I've read/heard, gliding experience improves your powered flying, so I'd be happy to invest some time/money in improving my skill level. I do appreciate the tow pilot is there for the glider pilots. However, the CPL(H) is my main priority and it is expensive, so realistically there is only so much I can spend on gliding.
I believe Phil Unicomb is floating around your area and used to do tailwheel endorsements and emergency maneuver training in the Pitts. He was out of the air for a while after an accident last year, but flying again now? Another good albeit more expensive option.
Phil is flying again and is now the CFI at the RNAC at Rutherford/Maitland. I think that at this stage a Pitts would be a bit beyond me, and as mentioned I can't let the expenses get too high or it eats into my CPL(H) budget.

Once again, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.