PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas/AACS
Thread: Atlas/AACS
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2001, 00:38
The Guvnor

Cool

LimeyAK - as usual, you're trying to twist things around here.

So let's keep it simple, so that you can understand, OK?

1) The CAA regs state that wet leases of foreign aircraft will be permitted for a maximum of six months. BA used theior influence to get that extended to what, the best part of three years? If BALPA was a half-way effective union, they should have blocked this - as the IPA has worked arduously to do - as it is BA crews that should be flying those aircraft.

2) The operation of wet-lease aircraft from the UK, on behalf of British Airways, on international routes should be done by a UK AOC holder, with UK or EU crews.

3) AACS is not a union busting operation. Again, let's keep it simple. How many aircraft will AACS operate? How many aircraft are in the ATLAS fleet? Do you, in all honesty, expect BA to merrily turn round and say to ATLAS management "no problem guys; you can ground our aircraft in order to operate other services for other airlines. Good luck with the union busting!"

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh rrrrrriiiiiiggggghhhttttt!!!!

4) If AACS pilots want to, they can join BALPA - and/or, if they organise themselves as a union, the IPA.

5)AFX operates B747s (-200s) and should have been given preference to provide aircraft; and if they didn't (or couldn't) then Cargolus has -400s that they could have leased to BA.

6) ATLAS is an ACMI operator: this means that they never fly for their own account. Aerial mercenaries, in fact. Polar Air Cargo is a 'normal' airline - flying its own routes and at its own financial risk. They are more than welcome in PIK where they contribute to the economy and do not steal jobs from Brits and other Europeans.

From what I understand, ATLAS pilots were given a pay increase in exchange for not organising themselves. They have reneged on their side of the deal. Now, they whine about the company not being sympathetic to them. Serves you right, lads!

As I said in an earlier post, this is a global industry and companies such as ATLAS will start to establish offshore operations both to comply with local rules and to reduce their costs. Remember, at the end of the day management is answerable to the owners of the company - the stockholders - and their primary interest is in the maximisation of profits.

You want sanctions applied against ATLAS? I agree with you. I think that all ATLAS aircraft operating in Europe (and all other US ACMI operators), for European airlines should be embargoed; that no assistance should be given to non-EU crews by any airport or operations staff; and that they should have their travel privileges on EU airlines revoked. Perhaps that way they would perhaps wake up and smell the coffee!