PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyjet pilots to strike??
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2003, 12:42
Pilt-downMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the posts on this particular forum it seems that many people are worried about several aspects of an impending ballot for industrial action regarding the present negotiations.

We must all ask ourselves where would we like our airline to be in 6-12 months, what environment do we want it to have, what kind of culture (it seems pretty much a blame one at the moment!) and can we see ourselves still enjoying our work (not many do at the moment).

We have an opportunity at this time to try and create a better lifestyle for us all in the long term and if we do not all support one another, Easy/Go, Capts/FO's & BALPA PC, we may as well go belly up now and give the Easy management free reign over the rest of out working time with this company.

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step" ..........
we have made that step and if we do not complete this journey will we look back and lament an opportunity lost? If you think things are bad now, imagine the delight management will take in using a "victory" over the Flight Deck in continuing with the present way we are percieved and treated.
Many people seem to be looking for ways to justify not withdrawing our labour, but I feel we should have no guilt in that respect. We are fighting for reasonable working conditions/lifestyle which is not only our right, but it enhances SAFETY!!.

We are also presenting managment with a system which should improve productivity, efficiency and improve morale, all of which should offset any increase cost the company forsee and improve the longevity of this company.
At the moment the companies training costs must be set to increase anyway just to replace those pilots who are/will be leaving as a result of the present state of affairs. With the the expansion of the company as well, apparently requiring approx. 60 new Capts. alone, then having the goodwill of the pilot force is the only way I can see this being achieved.

On this particular subject (commands!) it is distubing that FO's coming up for their command assessments may have been told that these will be delayed 6-12 months depending on their sickness , sim, discretion, etc. records. They are therefore worried that going on strike will also affect this process negatively. I can only say that it is of great concern that the company may be threatening people in this way and that, again, if we all support BALPA/one another, and we all act together, then where will the new commanders come from if everyone is delayed 6-12 months? In a previous company the cabin crew went on strike....... they were all sacked....only to be reinstated en masse, of course, the company couldn't continue operating! What happened at Aer Lingus?

I hope this isn't too much of a ramble as I'm home, sick with the flu so my single brain cell is under even more duress than normal.

However I need to restate that we must all support the BALPA negotiating team. They are trying to improve your working conditions/lifestyle, which will also enhance the company at the same time, and it would be very sad indeed if thro' our in-action now we remain disheartened and unhappy such that the first step will have been wasted and the journey not completed.

Take care

Last edited by Pilt-downMan; 21st Jan 2003 at 15:25.