PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type but no time IN type?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 19:13
TRF4EVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type but no time IN type?

(Cross posted from the North America forum as response there was, er, "underwhelming" and South and/or East Asia seem to be the areas I would most likely be targeting)

Hey folks,

Looking for some advice on how best to market myself as an expat pilot. As I'm sure most people in this forum have experienced, the US job market seems to be circling the toilet faster and faster. It certainly seems to me that all of the most lucrative and stable flying in the foreseeable future will be overseas. I'm 36, unmarried, no kids, about 7000 hours, largely single pilot turboprop time in freight and air ambo, but also about 1200 in a BE400 doing passenger 135 charter. My thinking lately has been that it might be useful to purchase either a 737 or Airbus type to make myself more attractive to foreign airlines, but I'm not sure whether the type rating itself will do me any good at all with no time in type. I'm pretty sure in the US it would be next to worthless, but I'm not nearly as clear on how things work overseas.

And if that's a bad idea, what's a good one? I really think the time to get out of the US is rapidly approaching.

Regards,
TRF