PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ACARS Costs
Thread: ACARS Costs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 16:02
falconeasydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver:
The last time you got a pay cut , didn't get a decent per Diem or a pay raise must have been around what +/- 1000 us? I bet you were very upset. Now you are trying to convince us all that 90000 doesn't mean anything?
Wait a second , yep is not that much, agree. Is around 60% of my annual income...
No hard feelings.
Vonk, you have missed the/my point entirely

Please note I said in the grand scheme of things, nowhere did I mention as an individuals income.
Ever heard of the statement "if you think safety is expensive..try having an accident"
The ability to access relevant and pertinent MET info via ACARS is one little piece of the chain that allows us to maintain adequate SA as well as keep ourselves ahead of the curve, and better yet, allow us to have considered options BEFORE we might need them.
If you believe that 90K USD per year to achieve this, plus gaining a few more things besides is too great a price to pay, then perhaps you need to revisit a few incidents over the years where timely information could have been that last little signpost down the road where an accident or incident occured.
In an organization such as ours with nearly 200 airframes that operates to some of the most challenging parts of the globe, I'd contend that our flight Ops people would happily swallow 5 or even 10 times that cost to mitigate an incident or hull loss.
With respect to payrises or cuts etc, far be it for me to assume, but I know my wife and kids would happily not stay in a 5 star hotel this year..but have dad home.