PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2012, 04:46
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Quote:
they both produce lift by compressing air at the leading edge, both above and beneath it"

"Absolutely not. Lift, at its most basic, is created by the turning of the airflow."

And before the airflow can be deflected, it contacts the leading edge, which produces a high pressure "bubble".

Look, I am nowhere near the expert I perceive you to be, and I am profoundly interested in the discussion. Sending people off to the "library" strikes me as dismissive, and tends to smother the discussion, rather than enlarge it. I was scolded at one point by someone for looking at the paper and supporting it, who has now admitted it filled some holes, and he is a convert.

I don't smoke a pipe, nor join groups just to nod and affirm each others' bias.

I think these two guys have some elegant work on display, and honestly, I never liked Bernoulli.

Still air is not a pipe, Air is not a liquid, It is the wing that moves, not its medium, And low pressure is not created by acceleration of the medium.

"It is our hope that teachers will return to the basics and use Newton's laws to describe lift. Then students can explore flight in much more depth than was possible with the popular explanation using Bernoulli."

Last edited by Lyman; 21st Oct 2012 at 04:52.