PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another MD11 Accident:
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2012, 12:14
Danish Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stilton:
I cannot agree Danish Pilot.
The MD11's poor safety record speaks for itself, comparing it to differing models of sports cars is just not relevant or realistic.

It's true you will bang a pod if you land with too much wing down in a B744, but I can guarantee you the wing won't come off
Fair enough, no one says you have to agree. I know what is fact The point with the cars was just to point out that one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Notso Fantastic
On final approach/slow speed, the tailplane goes severely leading edge down. I've actually been amazed at the degree I have seen. Combined with too-small an area, I suspect the pilots are running out of elevator effectiveness as the speed falls further in a bounce. I always felt no aeroplane should fly like that. The degree of slow-speed trim required shows the MD-11 wing should be quite a lot further forward. It would look 'right' too- it has always looked like an out of balance rod. See Picture
An aeroplane that requires exceptional pilot skill to avoid crashing has a fatal flaw! How many times are we going to be back here discussing the same issue?
Well.... how scientific...!!

The MD11 does not require special superman skills, donīt know where you get that from. It requires knowledge and good airmanship.

Anyway, I made my point. Nothing is wrong with MD11. Take it from someone who has flown it and not just looked at pictures.....

Last edited by Danish Pilot; 19th Oct 2012 at 12:15.