PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another MD11 Accident:
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2012, 09:44
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DouglasFlyer, that's naughty. The picture is a loading error. If you slide pallets rearwards without a tailsteady, things are going to go pear shaped!

I think Shy Talk above on this page has it. I have closely observed the MD-11 and always been convinced it is a misdesign, which for a development of a type, is appalling. There are just 2 issues in my opinion:
The horizontal tailplane is too small,
The wing should be further forward.

On final approach/slow speed, the tailplane goes severely leading edge down. I've actually been amazed at the degree I have seen. Combined with too-small an area, I suspect the pilots are running out of elevator effectiveness as the speed falls further in a bounce. I always felt no aeroplane should fly like that. The degree of slow-speed trim required shows the MD-11 wing should be quite a lot further forward. It would look 'right' too- it has always looked like an out of balance rod. See Picture

I can just imagine what DP Davies (Author 'Handling the Big Jets') who did the original British certification of the B747, would make of this monstrosity! It's safety record clearly shows it is a problem aircraft.

I would like to refer you to a previous discussion here and ManAdaSystem Post Number 19 which banged on about exactly this. An aeroplane that requires exceptional pilot skill to avoid crashing has a fatal flaw! How many times are we going to be back here discussing the same issue?

Last edited by Notso Fantastic; 19th Oct 2012 at 10:10.