PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2012, 11:19
Heathrow Harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gatwick Airport to submit plan for second runway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19977226

Gatwick says a new runway could be "affordable and practical" but residents fear extra noise

Gatwick Airport bosses are to begin work on detailed plans for a second runway which would double annual capacity to 70 million passengers.
The West Sussex airport's owners say they will scrutinise the options to develop the site up to 2020 and beyond.
Following 18 weeks of consultation, they will now put plans to an aviation commission led by ex-Financial Services Authority boss Sir Howard Davies.
Campaigners fear expansion will raise noise levels and harm the environment.
Noise impact
Mark Norman BBC South East Business Correspondent
Is this a surprise? Probably not. Despite the airport saying in July it had "no current plans for a second runway" and was "focused on making the best use of its single runway" the owners of Gatwick have clearly been working behind the scenes on plans for extra capacity.
The airport has always said it needs to plan for all eventualities.
The last time I spoke to one of their board members they shrugged and smiled when I suggested a second runway was probably discussed at every board meeting.
Land to the south of the current runway has been "safeguarded" for this moment and while all parties are committed to the legal agreement not to build until 2019, I have to wonder how soon after the end of that agreement the owners would like to see bulldozers starting work.

Gatwick said no runway would be built before 2019 under a legal agreement signed in 1979.