PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the Irish sea in a single
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 19:02
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=abe...ient=firefox-a

Walls of water is a slight exaggeration. While it can be true waves are often not as high as you might think crossing around north wales. I have sailed the Atlantic a few times and again contrary to expectation walls of water are very rare - undoubtedly there can be large swells with an equally large period between the swell but white top walls they are not. I don't suppose any are good for your health with regards a ditching but as I indicated earlier the outcome of ditching if you read the reports appear surprisingly good.

I would agree with the last poster - the problems of getting into a life raft are in my opinion also over done. I am not saying it is necessarily easy and the design of the raft is an important component. However a life raft is your best hope given that in reality I see almost no one climbing into immersion suites not least because of the cost, the lack of comfort and the need to supply each passenger with a suite. In fact a dinghy dry suit is a far better and more practical alternative but in both instances the clothing underneath are an equally important component in staying warm.