PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTE or OAA
Thread: FTE or OAA
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 11:53
Romeo Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met a FTE staff member the other day at an event, and we were talking about how the recent FPP cadets there were progressing. This drew my attention to one particular difference between the courses offered by CAEOAA and FTE.

That is: that the students in Jerez undertake a shorter period of groundschool initially, before their elementary flying training becomes "integrated" into their timetable. The impression I got was that they do it week about of flying and groudschool lessons, until they have passed the required ground exams.

At Oxford, the groundschool phase is exclusively that. It is only on completion of all 14 exams that students progress to a cockpit and fly out to Pheonix. Study and flying are kept distinct (supplementary study and revision for the flying phase notwithstanding).

I am not sure of the pros and cons of either approach. I dare say that is up to the individual. I would also I add that this is what I gathered from the conversation, and I can't guarantee I have understood the gentleman exactly right. But this is the sort of thing one would discover doing one's due diligence and research anyway.