PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth Airport - CEO Geatches on radio.
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2012, 10:18
Nautilus Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airdualbleedfault - I think that COBT times are like the airlines telling passengers what time to leave home rather than what time to be at the terminal, but we never used them until we bought in METRON from the spams, so I have no idea where they come from. The only reason I can think of to give a COBT and a landing time is so at towered aerodromes controllers can police the COBT and try to nip non compliance in the bud. I don't know if that is done though.

Th other thing is that COBT/landing times/METRON is a rough first pass strategic filter. Once everybody is inbound, the FF issued by PH FLOW are the tactical final pass to spread the arrivals out to what we need. The FLOW can only deal with what arrives. Today for example we had 10 - 12 arrivals which untouched would have all landed within about 90 - 120 seconds. The fact that they probably all met their COBT was rendered irrelevant.

Turbo's and BA146/F100 are a large % of PH traffic, but a small % of traffic from the east, which are the only ones who can use 24 hold short usefully. I would have it back tomorrow though if we could. Remember if all the inbound traffic is roughly on time, and get any delays far enough out to meet them with speed reduction, I get a very easy day at work.

I think, but am willing to be corrected, that 24 departures is again a noise abatement issue. You would only use 24 for GURAK departures (NW and N) which would turn right and go right over the city.

Crosswind and downwind quoted on the ATIS are maximums, as apposed to the wind which is an average (thats how you can have am ATIS with say xxx/10kts, crosswind 12kts). As soon as the TWR sees greater than the specified maximums we change ends, resulting in one of PH's famous last minute rwy changes, which are sometimes more dangerous than DW! It would be logical for example if the DW increased from 3 to 5 knots to change rwy's in anticipation, but we all know what happens when the rules meet logic.

Remember anything is available if the crew advise it is operationally required. I recently has a freighter do just that. Inbound for 21 instrument approach, dark o'clock, ILS not available, crosswind and downwind, 250' AGL wind even more so. Crew advises require R03, they get it

Last edited by Nautilus Blue; 12th Oct 2012 at 10:26.