PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do if someone flies dangerously?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2012, 11:01
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4. Should you report someone? Let's be clear here, I was asking what your thoughts are. In any sport with risks and a small user base, there is a constant balance between freedom of action, and guilt by association. Looking at some of the recent issues around airfields being closed or having complaints against them, it seems that it can often be the few inconsiderate ones who spoil it for the rest. I asked what the correct (or generally accepted) thing to do was, because I wanted to see how opinion fell. In sailing (a self regulated sport) you tend to leave people alone, but if you see them doing something dangerous, discuss it with them. More importantly, if you see someone doing something that will potentially put them and others (especially others) at risk, you do get the authorities involved, and leave them to sort out if the issue was an error, or someone being irresponsible. That is what regulation and due process in law is about.
Ian

Our sport, hobby, occupation has for decades been unfairly attacked, legislated on etc to the point that the sport cannot breath.

There are already so many pressure groups, residents associations who try to get GA closed down. We seem to loose airfields all the time.

Aviation used to be the dream of Kids with books like Biggles firing their imagination, the true pioneering age of flight.

My feeling is there are enough out there to take pot shots at pilots without us doing the same to our own.
Do not for one minute think these pressure groups or associations care about their peace being broken most are bored retired people with nothing to do but attach their flag to some mast or other.

Ok if we know of a pilot who is a danger to himself then a word in his ear or his flying club should be the first action but I think we are treading dangerous ground if we start snooping and telling on every perceived misdemeanor valid or not!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Oct 2012 at 11:14.