PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do if someone flies dangerously?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:05
IanPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

Thanks for the comments, lots to think about. I suppose i should try to answer some of the points raised.

1. How do I know the height? Well, I don't, and to all of those who said am I sure, no I am not. It looked very low, is what I can tell you. Certainly lower that a microlight turning on to finals at our airstrip, and that is 600 ft. So, could they have been over 500ft? Yes, but I didnt get that impression. What I do know is that there is precious little space to put a microlight down there, what with tall trees around the few fields. The best bet would have been the road, but probably not the safest. Sure, I am still learning, and have a lot of experience yet to gain, hence asking. It seems the general response is that it's not dangerous if the pilot thinks they can put the craft down somewhere. I can understand that, but it doesn't give much scope for a plan B. surely, just like any other risk based sport, you should be thinking not just 'how do I deal with an emergency right now?' but also 'what is my plan B if things dont go as expected'. Am I missing something here?

2. Did they have permission? I have no idea, but would be very surprised at a microlight getting permission to enter LONDON CTR.

3. Unsure of position? I can imagine that's possible, but then flying circles around and about, for 10 minutes? Surely, by that time, you would have used the radio and asked for assistance, over such a built up area?Nor if no radio, have hotfooted it out of there. It's also not that difficult to see which way central London is (lots and lots of houses, and tall buildings) and which way out of London is (big green fields).

4. Should you report someone? Let's be clear here, I was asking what your thoughts are. In any sport with risks and a small user base, there is a constant balance between freedom of action, and guilt by association. Looking at some of the recent issues around airfields being closed or having complaints against them, it seems that it can often be the few inconsiderate ones who spoil it for the rest. I asked what the correct (or generally accepted) thing to do was, because I wanted to see how opinion fell. In sailing (a self regulated sport) you tend to leave people alone, but if you see them doing something dangerous, discuss it with them. More importantly, if you see someone doing something that will potentially put them and others (especially others) at risk, you do get the authorities involved, and leave them to sort out if the issue was an error, or someone being irresponsible. That is what regulation and due process in law is about.

Anyway, after that diatribe, can I just say thanks. I appreciate all the different perspectives, and it gives me something to think about, both in my own flying, and my approach to others.

Ipz