PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the Irish sea in a single
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2012, 01:24
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you consider how many pieces make up a piston engine then you realize that a failure is a real option.
As someone who flies and scuba dives I am fairly aware of the sea at close quarters as well as a pilot who sees it from 3000 feet up!

3000 feet up those little white smidges and flat looking surface can be 30 foot walls of waves with more energy than you can dream to imagine at sea level!

Pilots do fly long distance USA UK in single engine aircraft over vast expanses of the North sea and in areas where you would last 10 minutes.
Is it risky? Of course it is! Only a fool would kid themselves otherwise.
So it really comes down to a personal choice of the level of risk you are prepared to take.

Do I trust mechanical piston engines? after a few failures in twins and a forced landing in a single? No.

Would I trust a turbine more? Yes!

All I know is crossing sea I am always that bit more relaxed when the coast comes into view and land is below the wings. It is funny how your senses become more highlighted to every beat of the engine over the sea.

Take my word for it landing into a brick wall of a 30 foot wave will be no fun and I have seen and heard singles merrily flying over such seas while flying twins and jets myself as well as seeing them do this with a couple of hours to dusk.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Oct 2012 at 01:37.