PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan - bone domes
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2012, 16:24
ScottBouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this is a busy forum! It's going to be difficult for me to respond individually, but I'll have a shot!!

I'll try and answer back to posts in this one message....

Quick Questions: What are: DI, PBF, TACEVAL...?

BEagle - you mention "Normal NBC kit", what did this consist of?

G-Pants - The Vilcan did not have a supply for this, only Oxygen (for breathing and Jerkin) and AVS (Air Ventilated Suit). Unless there are some other connections elsewhere? - EDIT, see following posts!!

Pontius Navigator - I think this is the old Vulcan / Victor rear crew Hymatic MSC PEC I you're referring to:

Above images from Cosford Air Museum.

On the rear crew PEC / SSC, one of the angled fittings is for the bail-out bottle, what is the other bayonet fitting for? Is this where G-Pants would be connected? Of course if this is do,this only applies to rear crew, where would front crew attach G-Pants? EDIT, see following posts!!

The evolution of the three rear crew PEC / SSC types used in the Vulcan / Victors are detailed here:

My Vulcan / Victor rear crew HA PEC / SSC and bail-out bottle regulator:

The Position of the Pressure Jerkin pressure connector of a Vulcan / Victor rear crew PEC compared with a Sea Vixen / Buccaneer PEC:

This illustrates what I mean when I connect the V bomber PEC (SSC) to my Mk4 Pressure Jerkin, the mask hose Mk7 bayonet connector pokes you in the chin... so my question is: did different models of Pressure Jerkin have the PEC pressure attachment in different places? EDIT, see following posts!!

Masks:

Please see below, from left to right: A-13 (based on the American MS22001), M-Type Mk1, and M-Type Mk2. The A-13 uses a pressure compensated exhalation valve (same principal as P/Q-Types), and the M-Types used a manually adjusted exhalation valve (same as the earlier J-Type mask).

All of these masks have a returned lip. After the M-Type, the N-type mask is briefly referred to in the IAM book "Into Thin Air" but very little is known on it, and it's believed to be a pre-cursor to the P/Q-Types.

The Earlier H-Type and J-type did not use a returned lip to improve face sealing. This was more of a problem on the J-Type as it was a HA pressure breathing mask, but the H-type was a constant-flow mask with no exhalation back-pressure, so less leakage problems.

The M-Types were typically used just on the Canberra with a pressure waistcoat.

My Vulcan FRONT crew NBC PEC:

Dated 1981 when the Vulcan was still in service - the larger diameter hose is for AVS air to ventilate the hood, and the offset smaller diameter hose is for Breathing Air / Oxygen at high pressure to a chest mounted regulator, and fed to the mask.

Note, regular oxygen hose port is blocked off.

This connects perfectly to me AR-5 with respect to hose lengths, connector types etc..

Continued in next post......

Last edited by ScottBouch; 10th Oct 2012 at 19:11.