PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - POLICE TFO'S/AIR OBSERVERS THREAD (NPAS)
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2012, 23:47
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perlease!

backtothebeat!

As you might expect;- as an ex Police ASU exponant, my sympathies fall naturally in your direction. But there are two vital lessons that you must learn, if your views are to be taken seriously.

(1) Never, - Never, call your colleagues "Cops". They proudly call themselves Police Officers, and there is over 250 years of tradition that lies behind that title. To call them "Cops" is an insult similar to calling a "Royal Marine" a marine. That is not to decry the marines in other countries, that call themselves such, but our "Royals" rightly believe they are something different, and I support them in that. UK Police officers are similarly different from "Cops" and long may that difference live on. ( But I have to say I am worried in that respect )

(2) Do not ever belittle or decry the service that countless numbers of great pilots have supplied to the Police Service since 1982. I consider myself priveledged to have worked with the likes of Mark Trumble, Steve Bidmead, John Ball, Chris Forrest, and others, and I remain in awe of how they took us forward, when we were really up against it in respect of vehicle crime and public order.

Yes! I too have indulged in light banter with them in the crew room at 0300, but never forget, - if it all goes wrong, - who carries the can!

Look guys, its all over for me now, I'm 68 shortly, and well over the hill, but that dosen't mean that I will ever stop carrying the torch for UK Police Aviation.

It was the best, and could still have been, but the current bosses of NPAS seem determined to rubbish it. But they will need to bury me first if they want to do it quietly!

tigerfish