PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan - bone domes
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2012, 22:27
ScottBouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, perhaps this is a question for Old Man Squipper..

This is my first post on this forum, I have a flying helmet collection (x 30ish), and various other AEA items.... You can see my writing on the subject at: flightgear's posterous - Home

I display my gear each year at Newark Air Museum's CockpitFest (although I missed this one as we'd just had a baby!)

Some photos of most of my collection: By Clicking Here

I got into aviation through volunteering for years on the Cranfield T5 Lightnings, XS452 and XS458.

I write, as I have a couple of questions regarding Vulcan kit:

1 - I have an AR-5 NBC hood, and a front crew Vulcan PEC that is a perfect fit the AR-5 NBC hood.

I wanted to know how many Vulcans were equipped for use of the AR-5? What era were they equipped? And did the Vulcan crews ever have to fly with them? (I recently looked round the Wellsbourne Vulcan, and the Seat portions of the PEC's were non-NBC.)

Typically would these have been worn wih a Mk3C or Mk4A helmet? Just thinking of what era's the AR-5 may have been used...

Do you have any photos of Vulcan Crews in NBC gear?

2 - I also recently bought a Vulcan rear crew PEC with Pressure Jerkin fitting. I have a Mk4 Pressure Jerkin - the Jerkin fitting seems to align quite well on Lightning, Bccaneer and Sea Vixen PEC's, but the Vulcan rear crew PEC seems a little long, as though the mask oxy hose would poke you in the chin! Was there a special Jerkin for the Vulcan rear crew?

3 - I understand the Taylor Woodhouse and Baxter Type E, and GQ parachute company Partial Pressure Helmets were used in the Vulcans in the early days, but these were replaced by pressure demand masks as it was deemed as only necessary as a "Get Me Down" precaution following a cabin de-pressurisation...

What masks were suitable for flying with the pressure jerkins? A-13, M-Type or P/Q-Type? Would the Vulcan's have been operated with all mask types over the years in conjunction with Pressure Jerkins?

Just trying to learn as much as possible about my kit and it's past...

Many thanks, Scott.