PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - POLICE TFO'S/AIR OBSERVERS THREAD (NPAS)
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2012, 23:38
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JAFO,

I cannot accept your comment about "your views are out of line with those who were actually involved! I was involved from 1984 onwards, when did you start?

I agree that there many of us involved and I have never saught to decry that. But I do not agree that UK Police aviation only played a small part in the development of the equipment carried today.

Industry reacts to demand, and I do believe that in no small way our constant demands for better and better kit aided the development of what we have today.

My comments about a/c development flow from observations from family members who are current military aircrew. They are amazed at the quality and complexity of the kit that our a/c carry. My son flies in a helicopter that is 4 years older than he is, and he is 37. He does not have access to the role equipment that we do.

I say again, had we left it to the military, what would be using today? would it be as suitable for the task?

It is all too easy for you to rubbish the dedication that those early units and crews put in. Too easy to accept the assurances that NPAS put out about minimum downtime. But again I challenge, - What do you mean by immediate cover. From where? How long will it take to be on task? How effective will it be when it arrives?

Frankly I take that with the same confidence that I receive assurances that the military, after all the cut backs, are just as capable of defending us as before.

By the way I am very impressed by the new Royal Naval Rowing boat, I saw it recently when I came into Portsmouth dockyard!

tigerfish

P.S. Whats the point? No one seems to care about the way this country is going now anyway.

tigerfish