PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - POLICE TFO'S/AIR OBSERVERS THREAD (NPAS)
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2012, 08:10
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whilst I can understand some of the comments made in respect of civilian observers, I remain of the opinion that the primary responsibility of the authority is to get the very best out of that very expensive resource.

In the past, when acting as a Silver Commander, I have often observed forward Bronze commanders effectively handing over local control of an incident to the aircraft overhead. They did that confident in the knowledge that up there, giving them advice and direction, was an experienced police officer, subject to the same rules as they were. And to a similar extent knowing what was going on, I allowed that to happen.

I do not believe that the same confidence would occur, if it were known that the entire crew up there were none police!

I repeat, the helicopter is a very effective tool when used properly, but it is also an expensive resource, so convince me that it is OK to take risks with its effectiveness, by taking its command and control out of Police hands and allowing it to be crewed by civilians!

To save a few bob by reducing the confidence in, and command effectiveness, of that resource is not a good idea.

The civilian observer is less flexible in respect of what you can do with him/her during times when the a/c is off line. Once again you may have saved a few bob but was that saving truly cost effective?

That "Police Nose" for tracking down that criminal is impossible to quantify or prove. but believe me as a senior operational officer I have seen it in action many times. You might not be able to put a monetary value on it, but I am bloody sure that you will see a reduction in effectiveness of the air support concept were it to become the norm.

Windsor, is mad! How can you deploy a multi million pound resource, and rely on it to do a good job, but at the same time state that the officer up there, who is controling what it is going on on the ground, is not a front line officer?

tigerfish

Last edited by tigerfish; 6th Oct 2012 at 17:01.