PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR IMC scary?
Thread: IFR IMC scary?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 08:47
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter

Your answer is to have more than one girlfriend then if you loose one because she will not fly with you then you have a fall back? Never put all your eggs in one basket a good flying principal
I well remember a trip I did just after I had got my twin rating with a superb instructor.
I went with him to gain experience to drop some people up in Inverness in the middle of winter in a Baron 55.
I flew left seat back at night with him in the right. There was a Sigmet with strong winds and severe turbulence below 8000 feet and CBs.
We took off and soon entered a snow storm.
The flakes were so dense and intense they were blinding and the only way you could fly was not to look out but fly the instruments.
This was in the dead of night over Scotland in severe turbulence.
I can distinctly remember thinking that I was using all I had to hold it together and what would happen if the engine suddenly failed to add to the mix!
We burst out of that frontal weather down by Glasgow and were met by smooth air and a million city lights below.
That was 25 years ago and was an excellent lesson for me. Since then I have flown all manner of weather even dust which turned into a sand storm on landing in Saudi Arabia and really do not now see a lot of difference between flying with outside reference or instruments.
An emergency in cloud is obviously more serious than on a CAVOK day because it is more challenging but that does not mean its not do able.

Pace