PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR IMC scary?
Thread: IFR IMC scary?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 20:44
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sail a bit.

Many sailors get worried about rough conditions. I think many of us worry about the going get rough in IMC - I know I do. Sometimes it can be really unpleasant - aside form concerns about icing or CBs.

Since this is a serious discussions and not about degrees of putting yourself in harms way one thing that has always given me great comfort is when it happens in fact most yachts and most aircraft will give up a long long time after the captain although in different ways it is helpful if the captain doesn't give up either!

In sailing terms i knew some guys who bailed out in very bad conditions way up in the northern latitudes. Sadly 3 out of 4 of them died. The fourth immediately made a great deal of fuss about how the yacht had let them down and how skilled the crew were. Three weeks later the yacht was found adrift - there was almost no damage at all. Little more was said.

Light aircraft are a bit like that; they will look after you amazingly well as long as you don't give up so if like me you worry about breaking the thing your fears are almost certainly misplaced. When things get rough at least that is reassuring.

Just a different slant in case that was part of your grounds for concern.