PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US shuts down EU Carbon Tax for US Airlines
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 18:20
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The elephant in the room.

As far as I am concerned, the whole question of global warming or Anthropogenic Climate Change - or whatever the current phrase to scare the troops is - is more or less a complete waste of media space. Until the elephant in the room is acknowledged. By someone, anyone.

The elephant is, of course, the uncontrolled, unregulated and virtually un-noticed rise in global population. The seven billionth person was born this year and we will make another billion in a handful of years. How much CO2 do a billion people expire every year?

Another billion people is an arrogance the planet simply cannot afford, a fact of which many, even most of our political and religious leaders are aware, but who refuse to even acknowledge the elephant. Let alone do something about it. Indeed, we have come so far that it may be beyond not only our Leaders political and spiritual, it may be beyond humanity itself.

I have been saying, for more than thirty years, that there is not a country, nor any nation in it, that would not ultimately benefit by having thirty percent fewer people. Actually the global number for sustainability is about two billion I believe so, we need to get rid of five billion people in the next few hundred years.

The answer is not, as some invariably suggest in these arguments, 'Logan's Run.' You simply cannot kill enough people for long enough. The only way is to reduce the number of new people. I am no mathematician so I cannot figure out if one child per couple or two children per couple is the right way to go, but unless and until we make a very big hole - right across all races and all religions - in the birthrate, then we are right royally skrewed.

The amount of CO2 my Land Rover produces is completely irrelevant.

Roger. And I don't have a Trabant, check my user name for a good guess.

Last edited by Landroger; 2nd Oct 2012 at 18:21.