PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OZ ATPL training & conversion to JAA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2003, 12:51
McIce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Sky
Currently trying the above method.

I think the price of the Oz ATPL is a wee bit low. I was quoted the same price last year,10 months down the line I have spent $32,000 with a minimum of another $3,000 to get my CPL.

For 28K I think you will have been quoted the flying hours price for the CPL add to this landing fees, text books, Lectures (if not self studying), exam fees its goes on and on.

Granted I dont think I went to the cheapest school in Oz but all the allegedly good schools are charging about the same.

For ATPL it appears the only place to go in Oz for the Theory is 'Advance Flight Theory' in Maroochydore approx $2500 for a two week course Then you have each of the Cyber exam sittings after that. 7 of them averaging about $175 each that's if you dont have any fails.

With regards to the conversion I enquired with the CAA in London last week who were about as useful as an Ash Tray on a motorbike, however the cost I think you have been quoted and I stress 'I think' depends on if you have managed to unfreeze youre Oz ATPL

posted this on a thread currently running in the GA Dununder Forum
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...threadid=77974

JAR
Medical = ~189 pounds
14 exams ~ 720 pounds for the lot. Resits extra
Theory course ~ 1000-1500 pounds distance learning
Flying Min of 15 hours for the IR. 3-5000 pounds at least.
MCC (you don't have any multi crew time) ~ min of 2000 pounds.
Lic itself ~ 100-200 pounds.

Check out Ryanair and easyJet's "new" schemes of extracting even more money from low houred pilots (and pilots with no multicrew turbine time).

The conversion price sounds about right if you have the unfrozen licence.

As for Adelaide I think you might find the course will take a wee bit longer than they are saying. I came to Oz thinking it was all Fine Weather and lots of sunshine. How wrong I was, I am not flying in South Oz (where I believe the weather can be as bad as the UK) and weather delays are still playing a big part in the length of my course.

I know all the above sounds a bit negative but its not that bad here just don't believe the sales pitch they give you. I have found most schools including the school where I am now basically lied to me about costs and conversions. I have looked at many other schools over here where I may continue my training to another level now that I am armed with a wee bit of knowledge and they are still telling porkies with regards to costs.

As long as you are aware of the costs quoted will be about 20% short of what they say you might even enjoy it here.
A major plus is cost of living
$26 for a tank FULL of petrol (£10)
$15 for about 5 of the biggest stakes youve seen
and if the weather is cr@p for flying in Queensland you can spend the day getting burnt on the beach, while you study of course.

Hope this helps. I have found what appears to be a couple of good schools if you want to email me I'll tell you more
Cheers Ice