Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Conversation of OZ Licence to FAA or JAR

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Search this Thread

Old 13th Jan 2003, 01:05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Question. How do I convert my licence to a FAA or JAR licence. I have a frozen ATPL just need the 1500TT??

Answer: Fill in here..

Cheers

Ang
Old 13th Jan 2003, 02:16

FAA... if you want it to fly commercially you'll have a 6 month to 18 month wait to start flying for airlines unless you were born in the USA. You'll need 1500TT 100 night 75 intrument with 50 of that in actual IFR conditions. Then its a theory exam. (pretty easy) and a check ride...similar to an IFR rating or renewal. Even a green card won't get you an airline job without an extended wait. Plus you've got close to 10,000 unemployed United US Air and American pilots to compete with. It just ain't good.
Old 13th Jan 2003, 02:58

FAA Licence

Figured as much thanks for the response. I might try Siberia, better chances there I'd say...

Ang
Old 13th Jan 2003, 13:18

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
JAR
Medical = ~189 pounds
14 exams ~ 720 pounds for the lot. Resits extra
Theory course ~ 1000-1500 pounds distance learning
Flying Min of 15 hours for the IR. 3-5000 pounds at least.
MCC (you don't have any multi crew time) ~ min of 2000 pounds.
Lic itself ~ 100-200 pounds.

Check out Ryanair and easyJet's "new" schemes of extracting even more money from low houred pilots (and pilots with no multicrew turbine time)
Old 14th Jan 2003, 00:47

Nice and cheap as always in the UK. How are things going over there redsnail? Has it been worth it?

You still need the 500 multicrew hrs and to pass an IR on that a/c type - correct?
Old 14th Jan 2003, 15:02

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Yep, after last week I can say it's been worth it. 2 years between paid flying jobs. Also, it's promising here than in Oz I think. That assumes Mr Bush doesn't start shooting at various people in the ME.

It hasn't been all plain sailing I can assure you.

If you have 500 hours on type then all you need (ahahaha...) is a check ride with the CAA. Not easy to set up and can be very frustrating.
If you have 500 hours total time multi crew but not 500 hours on type then you need to do an approved type rating in a JAR country and then do a check ride with the CAA.
If you have neither then it's the abbreviated IR. A min of 15 hours.
However, you'll need to do an MCC course (or strongly recommend you to do one) and that is 2000 pounds min for the MCC.
Piston time pilots are still finding it very hard to get an interview, let alone a job.
*Aussies and NZ's are good for single pilot Islander jobs because the locals don't have the command time. Pay is around 32K pounds.
To compare, an FO on a Shed or Dash 8 earns 16K-18K.

Last edited by redsnail; 14th Jan 2003 at 19:47.
Old 14th Jan 2003, 21:49
Props are for boats!

Any Twin Otter or King Air Jobs over there Redsnail. Got 500 on twotter mulit crew, 1400King Air,worth my while?

Thanks in adavnce

Sheep
Old 14th Jan 2003, 22:49

Good to hear its going good redsnail. Thanks for the info.. now all I have to do is win lotto .
Old 15th Jan 2003, 23:39

Received 115 Likes on 55 Posts
Sheep guts,
Not many operators have Twin Otters or King airs. There are some around.
Note! They are not suitable for converting your Aus ATPL to a JAR one. The 500 hours will let you do an approved multi pilot type rating to get a JAR ATPL. It's cheaper to get the IR and MCC (I think......)
Old 16th Jan 2003, 16:20
Props are for boats!

CheckerBoard,
Thanks for the heads up , much appreciated. I take it the Multi-Crew ATPL Flight Test has to be done in something above 12,500LBS or 5700kgs is that what your saying. Ah well.

Funny that is the case, even though where I work we fly the Otter to a Multi-Crew set of SOPS( Flight Safety Training even). I can take 19 North Americans to their Vacation destination, after being on an International Flight. Same load as a 1900 or Metro, yet because its under 5700kGS, its penalised.

Thems the breaks I suppose.

Regards
Sheep

P.S. Even 1900s and Metros are really a Single Pilot Aeroplane. But there over 5700KG so thats OK .

Last edited by Sheep Guts; 16th Jan 2003 at 16:33.
Old 17th Jan 2003, 20:48

PPRuNe Handmaiden

That's right. You have to check with the CAA as to what they approve but essentially it has to be + 5700kg and have a 2 pilot requirement from the manufacturer.

Now, before you all go rushing off. I'll give you an idea as to what I wear flying night freight. It's winter here...

Motorcycle boots.
Long thick woollen socks
Long johns
Wool mix trousers
T-shirt
Flying shirt
Polyester jumper (work issued)
Wind proof 300# fleece
Flying jacket (work issued)
Scarf
Gloves.
We cheer when the temp is in the positives and the RVR is +1000m.
Believe me, I have never done as many fair dinkum ILS's in my life and the weather is interesting. Ice is common place below 10,000' too.
Old 17th Jan 2003, 23:14
Props are for boats!

Thanks Redsnail,
Ive lived and worked in the Tropics for the last ten years why change it now. Yikes thats too cool for me.

Think ill go down the beach and have acouple of Red Stripe Ales mmmmmmmmmmm thats better.