PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Controlled Lighting - UK
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2012, 13:26
fattony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CAA knows the neighbours will tolerate the emergency services flying at night, because they know it's for a noble reason - but GA pleasure flights? I think not..
What about all the commercial pleasure flights from LHR/LGW etc? Most commercial flights are packed with people going on holiday, i.e. traveling for pleasure.

You're probably right though. That likely is the reason. It frustrates me.

The issue with the light turning off too early is potentially there no matter what technology is used.
That could also be a problem with tower-controlled lighting. At a licenced field with no radar the tower could switch the lights off at 6pm when they go home while there is traffic joining the circuit with comms fail. Tenuous I know but could happen.

One objection to night flying is that it could lead to no revenue for the airfield, if the office is closed
That may be some people's objection but plenty of fields operate without someone there to take landing fees. Most people will leave the money in an envelope.

How about a petition? Anyone think we can generate enough pressure to get the CAA to review their position?