PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-engine landing with C525; flaps setting???
Old 29th Sep 2012, 11:18
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree with BizJetJock

We spend ages trying to teach people to fly stabilized normal approaches, why on earth would you want to destabilize an abnormal?
Most aircraft types I have flown calls for "Landing Flaps" / "Flaps 40" / "Flaps Full" etc, depending on type, not only "when landing assured" but also "AS REQUIRED". "AS REQUIRED" is the crucial statements on these check list. If I make the necessary corrections to my Vref and landing distance calculations for the lower flap setting BEFORE starting the approach then I think it is advisable not to make late flap changes. All aircraft I have flown so far have procedures in place to land with a lower than full flap setting, so the arguments seen here about "making up your own procedures" is simply not correct.

Also, when is "Landing assured" if you have weather right down to your minima? When you get visual contact with the runway environment? Because, as you all know, on a CAT 1 approach this would mean selecting flaps at 200'. Balloon just a tiny bit in this situation and you will find yourself going around, now with full flaps.

I have seen quite a few pilots doing this in the simulator so it is something that, apparently, is not very clear for a lot of pilots and also proves that the definition of "stabilized approach" is not clearly understood either.

CP