PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - America's Dumbest War Ever
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 16:12
SASless

Received 559 Likes on 228 Posts
TT2...I have taken the position we need to reintroduce Conscription in the USA....make it so every Mother's Son and Daughter is subject to fighting in our Wars....not just the volunteer Professional Military. If we did.....perhaps the certain knowledge one's child or children would be one of those sent off to do the bleeding and dying....perhaps the Politicians would have to make a much more definite and compelling case for starting a War.

In this Country right now....as in every "War" since WWII....Korea onwards., we have not mobilized the Country for War....not once.

We are all off shopping at the Mall, taking our holidays, and generally going about our normal, regular, complacent daily business while brave Men and Women are dying in foreign lands for questionable causes, led by questionable Commanders in too many cases, and having to limit their actions for questionable political reasons. The average American Citizen has absolutely no concept what is going on in Afghanistan. The photo shows it as it is....that is why the government and media do not want to show these kinds of things. How long do you think the support for this War would last if we had these things shown us as we eat our Supper at night. The reporting of the Vietnam War proved the effect such images have on public opinion.

Perhaps if those of us who actually fight in these Wars started speaking up and telling the unvarnished truth about how things are....how they are causing death and maiming to those of us fighting the war.....maybe we could change things for the better. Who best knows what the truth is than those who have been there?

Who has earned the absolute right to speak out but those of us who fought and bear the wounds and scars? Our friends who we lost cannot.....don't we owe it to them to speak for them....to tell the truth?

I think so....I am bothered I waited as long as I have. Too many lives have been lost....too many have been wounded....and the truth is any that are harmed from this point on are needlessly lost and hurt as their sacrifice is not going to change the outcome.

There is no dramatic music playing....no beautiful shots of majestic flags flying....just murder and mayhem in combat. We owe it to those serving now to stand with and for them and bring them home as soon as we can.