PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typical Running Costs?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2012, 11:14
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyway, I gather than the SR22 "hour block purchase, zero equity" setups charge about £250/hr, which is a lot. Unsuprising, because they let just about anybody with a PPL to fly it, and they are set up to make a profit for the operator.
Just to set the record straight, I know there are various outfits doing this and I certainly don't know how they all work. However of those I know of, they definitely will not let just about anyone with a PPL fly. As has been discussed before if nothing else insurance on SR22s is not the easiest of markets and these setups are no less exempt. Moreover of the outfits of which I am aware regardless of insurance they are pretty selective and do their own reasonably extensive checks on the pilots, hence their very good safety record.

I know of cases where pilots have been turned down and told to get some more experience and others where they have had umpteen conversion / training flights before they are considered up to speed and definitely not for money making reasons either.

To be fair for any pilot with reasonable skills and perhaps a little time in a higher performance aircraft it is a straight forward conversion and no reason why they shouldn't make a quick transition and be safe to go, but in my experience at least, pilots are certainly not being given the reigns unless they are good enough.

I would agree as with any group profit can be a poor bed fellow when it comes to safety, but it is also worth making the point that many groups (not just Cirrus groups) are operated for the members by the members and while in some cases the arrangement is more complicated because the Group also sells hours it is unusual for the members to allow their aircraft to be used badly and they are not usually in the Group to make a profit but to cover their standing costs.

I now we are all cynical in this game and there are some poor groups and poor experiences that can be recounted about hour builders but actually with care most of these problems can be avoided.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 26th Sep 2012 at 11:20.